New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, Markets & Food Logo
NH Department of Agriculture, Markets, and Food
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

For Businesses

The Division regulates commodities sold by weight or measure in state commerce, and strives to ensure and promote accuracy and equity in the marketplace for both consumers and businesses. The Division licenses and regulates commercial devices used in direct sale applications.

Licensure and Certification of Commercial Devices

  • All commercial devices shall be licensed, inspected and tested annually.
    • Devices shall display a current year or previous year certification stamp.
    • There is an initial application and an annual fee based on each commercial device. Scroll down to find the device licensing application.
  • To have a device tested and certified, contact a registered NH service technician.
    • Please see below for links to service companies with registered New Hampshire service technicians in specific device categories in accordance with RSA 438:8 and Agr 1404.
    • We aim to work with you by providing education and guidance to help you comply with state laws and rules.
  • What is a Commercial Device?
    • Commercial devices include, but are not limited to the following:
      • cash register scales, deli scales, candy scales, jeweler scales, farm stand scales, and vehicle scales used in direct sales, retail motor fuel devices, vehicle tank meters, and LPG meters.
  • What is Commercial Use?
    • Commercial use is defined as "weights and measures … employed in establishing the size, quantity, extent, area, or measurement of quantities, things, commodities, or articles for distribution or consumption, purchased, offered, or submitted for sale, hire, or award, or in computing any basic charge or payment for services rendered on the basis of weight, measure, or count…" See RSA 438:1,XII. Devices used in the determination upon which a charge or service is based include, but are not limited to, taxi meters, shipping scales, etc. See RSA 438:1,XII.
    • Commercial use does not include the determination of the weight, measure, or count of any commodity or thing which is performed within a plant or business as a part of the manufacturing, processing, or preparing for market of that commodity or thing. See RSA 438:1,XII.

For New Businesses

Click on the below "New Business Packet" link for device licensing and other compliance requirements:

Device License Application and Compliance Information (scroll down the page for method-of-sale and other guidance information)


List of Service Companies by Device Category

The following lists contain service companies with licensed New Hampshire service technicians by category for testing, calibrating, and certifying commercial devices. Please note, the below lists are updated quarterly but may not reflect the most up-to-date list of licensed service technicians.

Guidance to Businesses

Portable Document Format SymbolPortable Document Format (.pdf). Visit for a list of free .pdf readers for a variety of operating systems.

NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food
Mailing: PO Box 2042, Concord NH 03302 -2042
Physical: 25 Capitol Street, Second Floor, Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-3551 | fax: (603) 271-1109