New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, Markets & Food Logo
NH Department of Agriculture, Markets, and Food
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions regarding pesticide control.

Who needs a pesticide license?

Who needs a pesticide license?

New Hampshire law requires that:

  • Anyone applying pesticides to produce an agricultural commodity for sale or distribution must be licensed as a Private Applicator (for example, growing fruits, vegetables or Christmas trees).
  • Anyone applying pesticides on a property of another must be licensed as a Commercial Applicator (for example, control of pest insects, invasive plants or as part of your work*, for example, golf course use) or
  • Anyone selling or distributing restricted use pesticides in the state must be licensed as a Dealer.

Janitors using general use pesticides in non-food areas in buildings and property immediately adjacent to buildings, and those using prepackaged general use aerosols or general use aerosol dispensing devices for control of flying insects in food handling areas are exempt from licensing.

Is a pesticide license needed for using "natural" or "organic" type oils or sprays to control mosquitoes and ticks?

Yes. Please contact the New Hampshire Divivsion of Pesticide Control at (603) 271-3550 for licensing information.

NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food
Mailing: PO Box 2042, Concord NH 03302 -2042
Physical: 25 Capitol Street, Second Floor, Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-3551 | fax: (603) 271-1109