New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, Markets & Food Logo
NH Department of Agriculture, Markets, and Food
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions about the State Conservation Commission.

What is the State Conservation Committee?

What are Conservation Districts?

What is a Conservation District Supervisor?

Where can I find information about getting a "Moose Plate?"

back to topWhat is the State Conservation Committee?

Since 1946, the State Conservation Committee, a State of New Hampshire Department of Agriculture affiliate, has provided conservation leadership, guidance, and oversight for the ten county Conservation Districts. The State Conservation Committee (SCC) confirms Conservation District Supervisors; coordinates the Districts' work; and fosters coordination with other natural resource state and federal agencies, organizations, and the legislature. The SCC receives a portion of the Conservation license Plate (Moose Plate) funds and distributes the funds in grants that support conservation activities.

site planning

back to topWhat are Conservation Districts?

In response to the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, Conservation Districts were formed across the United States. Each works locally and collaboratively on water and soil conservation projects and programs. In New Hampshire, the ten county Conservation Districts are subdivisions of state government. They are comprised of five Supervisors, appointed by the State Conservation Committee, who are landowners or land occupiers (called Cooperators), who join together voluntarily with the Conservation District. They plan for and control soil erosion, flooding, sediment, damage, water quality, and other conservation needs of their respective county's natural resources. Conservation Districts function independently under the direction of their Boards of Supervisors with the supervision of the State Conservation Committee. Districts are generally funded through state and county appropriations, fees for special services, and contributions from local sources and grants.

Some Conservation Districts are co-located with our partner in conservation, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). Five of the ten conservation districts in New Hampshire, however, have offices of their own: Belknap County, Merrimack County, Rockingham County, Strafford County, and Sullivan County Conservation Districts. This is due to the larger service area of NRCS field offices in the state.

back to topWhat is a Conservation District Supervisor?

A conservation district supervisor is a volunteer who serves the people, landowners, and communities within his or her district by observing, reporting on, advocating for and directing efforts to address natural resource issues within the community. District supervisors are public officials and are obligated to uphold high ethical standards.

back to topWhere can I find information about getting a "Moose Plate"?

Visit our Conservation Grant Program section for detailed information about Moose Plates and New Hampshire's Conservation Grants.

NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food
Mailing: PO Box 2042, Concord NH 03302 -2042
Physical: 25 Capitol Street, Second Floor, Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-3551 | fax: (603) 271-1109