New Hampshire Department of Agriculture, Markets & Food Logo
NH Department of Agriculture, Markets, and Food
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
link to website translation page

For Service Technicians

Pursuant to RSA 438, the Division licenses service technicians authorized to test, calibrate and certify commercial devices including, but not limited to, a variety of scales, analytical balances (e.g. precision scales), retail motor fuel meters, vehicle tank meters, LPG meters, taxi meters. See Agr 1404 and Agr 1405.

Service Technician Exam Information, Study Materials, & Forms

Scale Exam

The scale exam questions have been derived from:

  • NH law and admin rules: Agr 1401, 1404, 1405, 1410.06, 1411, RSA 438:40 Offenses and Penalties; *Please note: the above link provides the entire set of administrative rules for weights and measures-- refer only to the above sections.
  • NIST Handbooks: Handbook 112 (Examination Procedure Outlines),and NIST Handbook 44 including: General Code, User Requirements, Definitions, Tolerances, Notes, etc. **You can download and print this material from this website. Scroll down this page for links to NIST Handbook 112. The exam is open book.

Fuel Exam

The fuel exam questions have been derived from:

Education / Training Resources

Retail Motor Fuel Dispenser Training Video

  • NEW retail motor fuel dispenser training videos are available on the NIST, Office of Weights and Measures web page. Click on "Legal Metrology Devices" and then click on the retail motor fuel dispenser (i.e., gas pump) training video which demonstrates the minimum tests of a retail motor fuel dispenser in accordance with NIST Handbook 44 including: Selecting & Maintaining the Test Standard, Wetting the Standard, Normal & Slow Flow Test, Leveling, Reading the Meniscus, Draining a Test Measure or Prover, and Anti-Drain Test.

NIST Handbook 44 Self-Study Course

Required Examination Forms

Service Technician Forms

Licensed service technicians are required to complete and submit Placed in Service/Inspection Report Forms "whenever they for hire, install, service, repair, recondition, test, seal, or calibrate a commercial weighing or measuring device." These forms can be ordered from the Division using the order form below. Payments can be accepted in check, money order, or cash.

Guidance for Service Technicians

NIST Handbook 112: Examination Procedure Outlines

NH Division of Weights and Measures Placed in Service Report Forms


Portable Document Format SymbolPortable Document Format (.pdf). Visit for a list of free .pdf readers for a variety of operating systems.

NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food
Mailing: PO Box 2042, Concord NH 03302 -2042
Physical: 25 Capitol Street, Second Floor, Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-3551 | fax: (603) 271-1109